Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Dark Clouds from the Sunshine State


 Folks, 

I told you the reaction  my madras pants evoked last winter at Friday night Happy Hour in Central Florida, but just to emphasize the point I'm going to make, let me tell you again.  As I arrived at our regular table, one of the men seated there said, "What N.....did you steal those from?" My wife, ready to fight,  glared and hissed, "I can't believe you said that.” The offender shrugged, grinned and went mute.

What I didn't tell you, a week or so later, my wife was at her usual north-south table position at the weekly duplicate bridge game in a room whose walls had just been repainted the color of--as she describes it--"spicy mustard."  A seventy-year-old woman sitting east-west, her mouth twisted in disgust, spoke loudly enough for everyone in the room to hear,” That’s an N....color!"

I know my Friday night table mate loathes Obama and still expresses his feelings in an unexpurgated stream of malicious anti-Obama cartoons and far-right lies, the birther canard being only one of many.  He also considers himself "sympathetic to the Tea Party."  So are the others at the table.

I can only guess, of course, what the bridge lady's politics are but chances are they are similar; an overwhelming number of far right-wingers live where I live in Central Florida. They outnumber Democrats and independents well in excess of a hundred-to-one. How they all migrated to the same place I cannot say with certainty, but I can be certain when I say the ones I know are enthusiastic about the Tea Party. Recently, one of them got so angry when I criticized his party that he now refuses to talk to me.  You'd think I was attacking his religion, and you'd be right; religion and politics are treated on the right with similar fervor.

I did say that the Happy Hour fellow now expresses his high regard for Herman Cain. 
I wasn't surprised that in this age of political correctness a guy like him would pay lip service to a Cain candidacy in an effort to convince others [and maybe himself] that he is not a bigot.

He reminds me of those anti-Semites who used to say, mostly among themselves,  "He's okay for a Jew," or, worse, say to Jews,  Y'know, my best friend is a Jew."

The irony is that the reactionaries who hold sway within Republican ranks consider themselves the friends of Israel. In fact, they are. That's because they and Israel share the Arabs as a common enemy.   But trustworthy Jew-lovers they are not.

Today, it's popular among right-wingers to blame the media and the bankers for our ills, because "the Jews control the New York Times and Wall Street." The hate signs crop up at Tea Party rallies and on what I choose to believe are strictly the fanatical fringes of the Occupy Wall Street movement whose loose structure accommodates protesters of all stripes.

This ingrained mistrust of things they have always hated in my lifetime lies barely dormant today.  Should Herman Cain become the Republican choice to face off against Barack Obama in 2012, I doubt that voters on the extreme right will remain enamored of Cain.  I doubt they will vote for Obama. I doubt they'll vote at all.

It's the Republicans of the center right who will conscientiously go to the polls a year from now, but given a choice between a very black Cain and not-so-black Obama, they will opt for bitter coffee that is lightened with a teaspoon of cream.

David Allen Tree
[Thanks so much for your submission - ed]

No comments: